Dozens of children die in attack on Yemeni school bus

Yemen is in the grip of a brutal civil war

Yemen is in the grip of a brutal civil war

Airstrikes on a market in northern Yemen on Thursday killed dozens of people, including at least 29 children in a school bus, drawing global condemnation and putting a spotlight on a US -backed Saudi military coalition accused of carrying out the attack.

"Targeting Saudis and residents in Saudi is a red line", coalition spokesman Turki al-Malki later told Al Arabiya TV.

The coalition did not specify the target, but the International Committee of the Red Cross said the attack hit a bus filled with children, causing dozens of casualties.

"We are unable to verify the details at this moment", Save the Children wrote on August 9.

A spokesman for the Red Cross in Sanaa told AFP the toll was not final as casualties from the attack had been taken to several different hospitals.

At least 43 people were killed and another 63 were injured on Thursday when a market in Yemen was attacked, The Associated Press reported citing Yemen's rebel-run Health Ministry.

More news: Thousands of people evacuate after tsunami warning in Lombok Island

"Grotesque, shameful, indignant. Blatant disregard for rules of war when bus carrying innocent school children is fair game for attack", Jan Egeland, head of the Norwegian Refugee Council, said in a Twitter post. In a statement, Save the Children condemned the attacks and called for a "full, immediate and independent investigation into this and other recent attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure, including schools and hospitals".

After the strike, the United States, which largely supports the coalition's campaign, issued a statement.

"We call on the Saudi-led coalition to conduct.an investigation", Nauert said.

Coalition spokesman Turki al-Malki even claimed that the strikes "conformed to global and humanitarian laws". The Saudi coalition has been at war with the Houthis since March 2015.

The Houthi-controlled health ministry said almost 30 children were killed.

"How many more children will suffer or die before those who can act, do by putting a stop to this scourge?"

More news: Pence Will Reveal Trump's 'Space Force' Plan Today

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said "civilians continue to pay the highest price after three years of war in Yemen, thousands of them have been killed, injured or maimed".

Footage from the scene, in the area of northern Yemen that is the heartland of the Houthi rebels fighting the recognised government, showed children as young as six being pulled from the wreckage. "The attack today was a follow-up process to neutralise that threat".

The Western-backed alliance fighting the Iranian-aligned Houthi group in Yemen accused the Houthis of using children as human shields.

"Shrapnel from the intercepted missile scattered over residential areas, leaving a Yemeni resident killed and 11 other civilians wounded", the coalition said.

Col. Al-Maliki affirmed that the leaders and militants responsible for launching ballistic missiles and targeting civilians would be held accountable under the Coalition's efforts to prevent terrorist elements from compromising regional and global security.

More news: NY just capped the number of Uber, Lyft vehicles

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.